The ToneWay® Project: helping people play music

Toneway user experience - Band Scramble

I thought I'd share an idea we tried out at out Toneway group jam tonight - band scrambles. We have a fairly sizable group right now (11 tonight) and everyone is capable of strumming, singing or playing breaks. So we divided up into three groups with the assignment of choosing, rehearsing and performing a song for everyone else in a limited amount of time (half an hour). Each number had to have some lead and backing vocals and at least one instrumental break.

It turned out very well. Everyone had a chance to contribute and shine, and we all had to stretch a bit, and the small groups meant no one could hide behind the others. The numbers all turned out great! Most importantly, it was super-fun.

Anyway, that's a suggestion for something to try if you have a largish group. I'd be interesting in hearing any other ideas for fun little activities and challenges.

Cancel

We did a fun thing like that at a campout out. Only I rigged the drawing that a certain 3 of us would be on the same team. So when we came out, we had paper hot pink hats, and ties. Called ourselves the Polka dots and big dot. Everyone got such a laugh and fun out of it. Of course they knew we rigged it. But all had fun, and that is what music is all about.

Cancel

Further to ralph's band scramble it was a lot of fun! It was kind of rigged so that each team had a variety of experience and instruments.

Cancel

I think that's a great idea! I'm hope to try that soon!

Cancel

We had band scramble again at Vegreville Toneway group. We had bigger groups this time…probably easier with smaller group when time is limited to get everyone involved…but still lots of fun. This seems to challenge musicians to try different arraignments of a song more than the circle jam. And everyone gets a chance to be entertainer and be entertained.

Cancel
to write a reply.