The ToneWay® Project: helping people play music

Guitalele Resources?

New Guitalele
I think I want to start by learning/practicing finger picking scales (all 6 strings)
Need help specifically with which finger frets and which finger picks

And suggestions for videos or books?
Doesn't seem to be much specific to the guitalele

Cancel

Not knowing your level of experience, this may be something you already know. I've been considering purchasing a guitarlele so I have done a little bit of research on this and the following is my understanding.

On a ukulele the c major scale would be played the same as a guitar with a capo at the fifth fret (like an a tuned guitar) Therefore, you would play the c major scale on the guitarlele the same as the standard ukulele…on the four bottom strings only.

The top two strings really come into play when you are using chords. They really round out the sound.

if you decide you just want to learn to play go with the toneway guide. It's great! Not a scale in sight, lol. Right up my alley.

There is a pretty extensive guide available at Amazon if you really want to spend time learning all the theory. https://www.amazon.com/Visual-Guide-Scales-Guitalele-ADGCEA/dp/154057931X?camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=ur2&tag=ipad0e2e-20&linkId=OMBRYAX56M45VB35

Cancel

You might find this book helpful too, and you can't beat the price. ;-)

https://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-Guitalele-ToneWay-Method-Easier/dp/1500410144

Cancel

Thanks Deborah & Carl

Only experience is basic cords on a guitar
I have that first book mentioned by Deborah above
Nothing in it that shows where my fingers should be

I want basic 101 stuff to learn how to pluck (not strum) notes
And I figure that practicing scales would be best

Something that teaches me
Put your left hand like this
Strum this string with this finger

So I can do that comfortably up and down the different scales
using all six strings on the guitalele

Cancel

Something that teaches me
Put your left hand like this
Strum this string with this finger

So I can do that comfortably up and down the different scales
using all six strings on the guitalele

I did that for guitar years ago and never could leave the rote rut that put me in. Having my sons learn to play as toddlers opened my eyes to perhaps another way to play music. I figured out what they were doing and the result was the ToneWay Method.

My kids were “playing by ear” essentially, and the ToneWay approach attempts to help adults learn that more intuitive way.

When you know the principle of this “by ear” approach, the 'how and where' fall into place pretty well. Of course, it still takes a few years to play fluently!

Cancel

Ah… I think I know what you are looking for now. Here is a link that may be useful to you. http://gui-tar.com/2%20Finger%20Per%20String%20Scale%20Fingerings.html

This pertains to guitar, but you are really just playing a guitar with a capo at the fifth fret so the same principles should apply. If you get a chance, tap through to the home page, there are a lot of articles there on theory.

Kudos for taking on the challenge of learning all that theory, I don't have the patience or the time for it.

I have Carl's book and even though I don't have a group to play with, I strum and pick away like I do, lol.

Cancel

Thank you Deborah!
I'll go check that out.

Cancel
to write a reply.